A/Prof. Eric Chung is a certified Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS) and Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand (USANZ). He is the first urologist in Australia to complete an Andrology Fellowship that is accredited by the Sexual Medicine Society of North America (SMSNA) in 2010. Andrology is a study of Men’s Health, relating to male urinary, sexual and reproductive functions. He has also received formal fellowship training in Urinary Reconstructive and Prosthesis Surgery in 2009.
As Australia’s surgeon expert in the field of urinary stones, voiding and sexual dysfunctions, A/Prof. Chung has been invited to speak at many national and international meetings, and serves on many national advisory committees and international organizations. He is the Chair of Andrology (Men’s health) section at Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand (USANZ) and the Secretary-General of Asia Pacific Society of Sexual Medicine (APSSM). He runs a wide range of clinical trials and publishes extensively in the field of urinary, sexual and prosthesis research.
Apart from University of Queensland, A/Prof. Chung is also appointed as Associate Professor of Surgery at Macquarie University Hospital and has a Visiting Professorship at the Hong Kong University- Shenzhen Hospital.He has a public appointment as consultant urological surgeon in the Princess Alexandra Hospital in charge of the urinary reconstructive and prosthetic urology program.
Male sexual and reproductive surgery, penile reconstruction and prosthesis surgery, stem cells, testosterone deficiency
Urinary dysfunction, BPH, urinary incontinence, bladder dysfunction, urinary reconstruction, urinary sling and artificial urinary sphincter, regenerative technology
A/Prof. Chung’s clinical areas of interest include urinary, sexual and male reproductive dysfunctions, and urological prosthesis surgery. He has been invited to speak at many major international meetings, operate at many hospitals around the world, and mentor young surgeons on various surgical techniques pertaining to urinary and penile reconstruction and prosthesis surgery. He runs several active clinical trials and has authored more than 100 peer-reviewed articles, reviews and book chapters.
Some of his international and national credentials are
1. Chair of the Andrology section for the Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand (USANZ)
2. Secretary-General and Australia executive representative for the Asia Pacific Society of Sexual Medicine (APSSM)
3. Chair of Scientific committee for the International Society of Sexual Medicine (ISSM). He has served in other committees including Education, Audit and Publication committes at ISSM.
4. Committee member of the Surgical Specialty Examination (SSE) Board, and the Ethics Committee Board in the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS).
5. Advisory role in Andrology Australia, Continence Foundation of Australia, Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia and Cancer Council.
- Journal Article: Men’s sexual help-seeking and care needs after radical prostatectomy or other non-hormonal, active prostate cancer treatmentsHyde, Melissa K., Opozda, Melissa, Laurie, Kirstyn, Vincent, Andrew D., Oliffe, John L., Nelson, Christian J., Dunn, Jeff, Chung, Eric, Gillman, Michael, Manecksha, Rustom P., Wittert, Gary and Chambers, Suzanne K. (2020). Men’s sexual help-seeking and care needs after radical prostatectomy or other non-hormonal, active prostate cancer treatments. Supportive Care in Cancer, 29 (5), 2699-2711. doi: 10.1007/s00520-020-05775-5
- Journal Article: For men’s problems, we need a women’s approach: equality in treatment care planningKatz, Darren J., Love, Christopher, Kim, Shannon Hee Kyung, Barrett, Trenton, Spernat, Dan and Chung, Eric (2020). For men’s problems, we need a women’s approach: equality in treatment care planning. BJU International, 126 (S1), 46-47. doi: 10.1111/bju.15190
- Journal Article: Provision of Sexual Medicine Services During the Coronavirus Disease-2019 Pandemic: An Asia Pacific Society of Sexual Medicine Position StatementChung, Eric, Jiann, Bang-Ping, Nagao, Koichi, Hakim, Lukman, Huang, William, Lee, Joe, Lin, Haocheng, Tien Mai, Dung Ba, Nyugen, Quang, Park, Hyun-Jun, Sato, Yoshikazu, Tantiwongse, Kavirach, Yuan, Yiming and Park, Kwangsung (2020). Provision of Sexual Medicine Services During the Coronavirus Disease-2019 Pandemic: An Asia Pacific Society of Sexual Medicine Position Statement. Sexual Medicine, 8 (3), 325-326. doi: 10.1016/j.esxm.2020.06.012
- The role of technology in urology: Advancing healthcare and medical educationMaster Philosophy
- Ultrasonographic study on bladder and pelvic floor muscle tone in voiding dysfunctionMaster Philosophy